Go, therefore, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe everything I have commanded you. And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”
The mission is the primary goal that God has called us to accomplish. It describes what we attempt to do for God and people. It offers a guideline for decision making, focuses on the future, inspires unity, shapes strategy, and enhances our effectiveness. It answers the question ‘what’ are we to do?
Mission: Creating Experiences that Connect us with Christ and Inspire us to Serve
Our Identity Statement
“A deep community of disciples, empowered by the Holy Spirit, to translate the good news of Jesus Christ to the world.”
OPEN DOORS: The First Reformed Church of Pompton Plains - an inclusive, supportive, and growing community of seekers and believers in Christ; an historic church communicating a timeless message in a relevant way; a place where thought and faith exist together in friendship and mutual respect.
OPEN HEARTS: The life-changing power of Jesus Christ being offered through meaningful, thought-provoking, creative worship and transformational educational experiences that nurture the mind, body, and spirit.
OPEN HANDS: We are a community church intentionally partnering with and serving the Pequannock Township area and beyond through social action and witness, carrying the light of Christ to all.
Our Core Values
Core Values communicate what is most important – what really matters – to a church. They are the very beliefs around which the church builds its life, ministry and mission. Our Core Values will guide what we ‘do’ as a church and how we utilize our assets, specifically staff, volunteers, facility, and finances. In such, our core values will be evident in our behavior and action. The following are our new Core Values.
- BOLD HOSPITALITY - Our church is a welcoming, safe and accepting place for all people. We respect different viewpoints and embrace the spiritual and intellectual journeys of everyone. We welcome all experiences, gifts, challenges and insights, believing that we will be enriched as a community.
- INTENTIONAL CONNECTIONS - We encourage and support people to be authentic with God and one another, sharing their rough edges and struggles. We believe that people can best experience the rich life God intends for them when they are connected with others: serving and being served, challenging and being challenged, forgiving and being forgiven, teaching and being taught, giving and receiving.
- TRANSFORMATIONAL FAITH DEVELOPMENT - We embrace the wonder and mystery of all God’s creation, recognizing that it is too profound and complex to be simplified or neatly packed into a box. We value progressive Christian teaching that challenges us to follow Christ and grow in spiritual vibrancy through prayer, the study of Scripture, worship, fellowship, service, and meditation.
- INSPIRATIONAL WORSHIP - We strive to create an environment for worship that is inspiring, engaging, meaningful, and relevant. We believe in worship that is Biblically-inspired, leading us into a more complete relationship with God. The splendor and span of God’s creativity calls us to be innovative. Therefore, our congregation embraces various art forms and musical styles within our worship as we accept that one style does not fit all.
- PASSIONATE MISSION AND SERVICE - By discovering our spiritual gifts and passionately using our God-given talents, we seek to have a transformational effect on our local community and beyond. We carry this out by following the example of Jesus Christ through caring, helping, sharing, teaching, serving, and respecting others. Our church culture is one that values innovation and therefore we seek to nurture, develop and unleash the gifts, dreams, and passions of individuals who desire to impact the culture and community.