Welcome to The First Reformed Church
Below you will find information or links to help you get to know a little bit about us. If you have any questions, comments, or concerns please do not hesitate to contact us.
Who We Are
First Reformed Church is a family! We are not perfect, but we're striving to love people and our community as we model our lives after Christ. We are teachers, doctors, community leaders, retail workers, cooks, and so much more. All are welcome to come into our open doors, and our hearts are open, too.
Walking through the doors of The First Reformed Church is only one step in what we hope is a long journey of faith, growth and service. Church is about much more than sitting in a building for one hour a week. The church is God's gathered people, scattered into the world, to be the people of God. We want to help you find your way toward a meaningful and transformative experience.
Mission and Vision
- CONNECT with God and one another
- CULTIVATE disciples of Jesus Christ
- CONTRIBUTE to our community and beyond
- Live and love like Jesus. "Transformed & Transforming: Radically Following Christ in Mission Together" is the RCA's 15-year strategy for mission and ministry. Adopted in 2013, it's our commitment to:
- Cultivate transformation in Christ
- Equip emerging leaders of today and tomorrow
- Engage in Christ's kingdom mission
Identity: A deep community of disciples, empowered by the Holy Spirit, to translate the good news of Jesus Christ to the world.
- Imagine...OPEN DOORS: The First Reformed Church of Pompton Plains - an inclusive, supportive, and growing community of seekers and believers in Christ; an historic church communicating a timeless message in a relevant way; a place where thought and faith exist together in friendship and mutual respect.
- Imagine...OPEN HEARTS: The life-changing power of Jesus Christ being offered through meaningful, thought-provoking, creative worship and transformational educational experiences that nurture the mind, body, and spirit.
- Imagine...OPEN HANDS: A community church intentionally partnering with and serving the Pequannock Township area and beyond through social action and witness, carrying the light of Christ to all.
What We Believe
From the RCA Website:
"We believe Jesus, the Son of God, entered our broken world and lived a life that reveals God to us and tells us who we are: beings created by God in God’s image who suffer in a broken world.
Jesus lived a life of perfect obedience to God and suffered and died on a cross to create the way for people to be reconnected to God, as we were created to be. God brought Jesus to life again—defeating death—and Jesus returned to his Father in heaven.
Because Jesus died and rose again, we can live in hope for a better life in this world and in eternity with God.
To connect with this new life and hope, we need to recognize that we have big issues that we can’t fix ourselves, accept Christ’s claim that he is the Son of God and the way to new life, and allow God to lead us into a new relationship with him."